This is a really good breakfast recipe that can be meal prepped over the weekend. You can add whatever you want into the bell peppers as long as you have bell peppers, eggs, and some form of greens. This recipe is for two people because I made it for Waiemi and I for a week’s worth of breakfasts.
- 5 large bell peppers (I used both red and yellow) – $5.50/lb @ Downtown Hilo Farmer’s Market
- 10 eggs – $3.00/dozen @ Target
- 1/2 cup of chopped spinach – $3.99 @ the Locavore store
- 1 onion – $3.00/2 onions @ Downtown Hilo Farmer’s Market
- Salt and pepper; to taste
I added potatoes, bacon, and cheese to ours. If you add cheese, add some in the mix and some on top.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut bell peppers in half and remove seeds. Place peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 5 mins.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Remove peppers from the oven and spoon the mixture into each pepper. Sprinkle the top with cheese and place back into the oven for about 25 mins or when eggs are set.
- Serve eggs immediately.
You can store the peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days, Reheat in oven or microwave.
***DO NOT PUT PEPPERS IN A PLASTIC CONTAINER!!!! The smell will never leave the container no matter how many times and how hard you wash it. Trust me. Use stainless or glass.
This was a really good recipe. I especially loved the bacon and potatoes we put into ours. If you decide to put bacon, don’t forget to cook the bacon a little bit first. We bought frozen potato medley with bell peppers and onions, so we had extra veggies. We also used the toaster oven since mom’s oven was broken, it worked just as good, just had to do two batches.
It was super convenient for breakfast throughout the week. The only thing I regret was not putting it into the toaster oven to reheat rather than the microwave, it got a bit runny. Also, next time I want to add more potatoes and bacon. Yum!